find a home
view development locations
Handy Guide to Family Fun at Home
We hope you’re loving your new Anwyl home – even if you didn’t expect to be spending quite so much time in it!
You may have gained extra space, inside and outside, but entertaining young children all day every day may be proving a challenge right now with schools closed and days out not an option.
We thought we’d help you out with a handy guide to some of the online opportunities designed to make your life a little bit easier.
- By now you’ve probably been introduced to Joe Wicks’ daily exercise workouts, as he becomes the nation’s favourite PE instructor. If not, check out his YouTube channel and join your children for 30 minutes of fun and fitness every weekday morning at 9am.
- For the less energetic, every day at 11am actor and Britain’s Got Talent judge David Walliams reads one of his World’s Worst Children stories so sit down, take a break and enjoy 20 minutes of pure fun!
- Zoos around the country may be closed to visitors but a number of them have been livestreaming via webcams, including Chester Zoo here in the North West. Like and follow their Facebook page to be kept up to date about their next Virtual Zoo Day or catch up on past broadcasts via YouTube. You can breakfast with baby meercats and brunch with Eastern black rhinos!
- If you’re looking for something educational, former Countdown star Carol Vorderman has made her learning programme The Maths Factor – an online maths tutoring site for children aged four to eleven – free while schools remain closed.
- And Rosetta Stone is giving free access to its language courses for the next three months, saving parents the usual £50 fee. There’s a world of choice, including Spanish, Polish, Russian and Chinese!
- Hobbycraft has launched an online version of its popular Kids’ Craft Club. Every day at 11am on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram a new crafting idea is posted around a theme, such as space, colouring, family portraits, or origami. Head to the retailer’s Ideas Hub to find out more.
- Children’s book writer and illustrator Rob Biddulph invites children to ‘Draw with Rob’ every Tuesday and Thursday at 10am with a new draw-along video. Join in live or catch up via his website and learn how to draw one of his characters such as Gregosaurus, Fred Bear, Sausage Dog or Penguin Blue.
These are just a few of our favourites but there are lots of other great ideas online to keep your little ones entertained.